Section 4761.01 | Respiratory care definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(A) "Respiratory care" means rendering or offering to render to individuals, groups, organizations, or the public any service involving the evaluation of cardiopulmonary function, the treatment of cardiopulmonary impairment, the assessment of treatment effectiveness, and the care of patients with deficiencies and abnormalities associated with the cardiopulmonary system. The practice of respiratory care includes:
(1) Obtaining, analyzing, testing, measuring, and monitoring blood and gas samples in the determination of cardiopulmonary parameters and related physiologic data, including flows, pressures, and volumes, and the use of equipment employed for this purpose;
(2) Administering, monitoring, recording the results of, and instructing in the use of medical gases, aerosols, and bronchopulmonary hygiene techniques, including drainage, aspiration, and sampling, and applying, maintaining, and instructing in the use of artificial airways, ventilators, and other life support equipment employed in the treatment of cardiopulmonary impairment and provided in collaboration with other licensed health care professionals responsible for providing care;
(3) Performing cardiopulmonary resuscitation and respiratory rehabilitation techniques;
(4) Administering medications for the testing or treatment of cardiopulmonary impairment.
(B) "Respiratory care professional" means a person who is licensed under this chapter to practice the full range of services described in division (A) of this section.
(C) "Physician" means an individual authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery.
(D) "Registered nurse" means an individual licensed under Chapter 4723. of the Revised Code to engage in the practice of nursing as a registered nurse.
(E) "Hospital" means a facility that meets the operating standards of section 3727.02 of the Revised Code.
(F) "Nursing facility" has the same meaning as in section 5165.01 of the Revised Code.
(G) "Advanced practice registered nurse" has the same meaning as in section 4723.01 of the Revised Code.
(H) "Physician assistant" means an individual who holds a valid license to practice as a physician assistant issued under Chapter 4730. of the Revised Code.
Last updated August 24, 2021 at 2:58 PM
Available Versions of this Section
- September 4, 2014 – House Bill 165, 130th General Assembly [ View September 4, 2014 Version ]
- October 15, 2015 – Senate Bill 110, 131st General Assembly [ View October 15, 2015 Version ]
- February 8, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 145, 132nd General Assembly [ View February 8, 2018 Version ]
- September 30, 2024 – Amended by House Bill 110, 134th General Assembly [ View September 30, 2024 Version ]