Section 4765.39 | Authorized services by emergency medical technician-paramedic.
(A) An emergency medical technician-paramedic shall perform the emergency medical services described in this section in accordance with this chapter and any rules adopted under it.
(B) A paramedic may do any of the following:
(1) Perform cardiac monitoring;
(2) Perform electrical interventions to support or correct the cardiac function;
(3) Perform airway procedures;
(4) Perform relief of pneumothorax;
(5) Administer appropriate drugs and intravenous fluids;
(6) Determine triage of adult and pediatric trauma victims;
(7) Perform any other emergency medical services, including life support or intensive care techniques, approved pursuant to rules adopted under section 4765.11 of the Revised Code.
(C)(1) Except as provided in division (C)(2) of this section, the services described in division (B) of this section shall be performed by a paramedic only pursuant to the written or verbal authorization of a physician or of the cooperating physician advisory board, or pursuant to an authorization transmitted through a direct communication device by a physician, physician assistant designated by a physician, or registered nurse designated by a physician.
(2) If communications fail during an emergency situation or the required response time prohibits communication, a paramedic may perform any of the services described in division (B) of this section, if, in the paramedic's judgment, the life of the patient is in immediate danger. Services performed under these circumstances shall be performed in accordance with the protocols for triage of adult and pediatric trauma victims established in rules adopted under sections 4765.11 and 4765.40 of the Revised Code and any applicable protocols adopted by the emergency medical service organization with which the paramedic is affiliated.
(D) In addition to, and in the course of, providing emergency medical treatment, an emergency medical technician-paramedic may withdraw blood as provided under sections 1547.11, 4506.17, and 4511.19 of the Revised Code. An emergency medical technician-paramedic shall withdraw blood in accordance with this chapter and any rules adopted under it by the state board of emergency medical, fire, and transportation services.
Available Versions of this Section
- July 1, 2013 – House Bill 51, 130th General Assembly [ View July 1, 2013 Version ]