Section 5119.21 | Support of community support system; powers and duties regarding programs and services.
(A) The department of mental health and addiction services shall:
(1) To the extent the department has available resources and in consultation with boards of alcohol, drug addiction, and mental health services, support the community-based continuum of care that the boards are required by section 340.032 of the Revised Code to establish. The department shall provide the support on a district or multi-district basis. The department shall assist in identifying resources, and may prioritize support, for one or more of the elements of the community-based continuum of care. For the purpose of division (A)(10) of section 340.032 of the Revised Code and to the extent the department determines is necessary, the department shall define additional elements to be included in the community-based continuum of care.
(2) Provide training, consultation, and technical assistance regarding addiction services, mental health services, recovery supports, and appropriate prevention, recovery, and mental health promotion activities, including those that are culturally competent, to employees of the department, community addiction services providers, community mental health services providers, and boards of alcohol, drug addiction, and mental health services;
(3) To the extent the department has available resources, promote and support a full range of addiction services, mental health services, and recovery supports that are available and accessible to all residents of this state, especially for severely emotionally disturbed children and adolescents, severely mentally disabled adults, pregnant women, parents, guardians or custodians of children at risk of abuse or neglect, and other special target populations, including racial and ethnic minorities, as determined by the department;
(4) Develop standards and measures for both of the following:
(a) Evaluating the effectiveness of addiction services, including opioid treatment programs, of mental health services, and of recovery supports;
(b) Increasing the accountability of community addiction services providers and community mental health services providers.
(5) Design and set criteria for the determination of priority populations;
(6) Promote, direct, conduct, and coordinate scientific research, taking ethnic and racial differences into consideration, concerning all of the following:
(a) The causes and prevention of mental illness and addiction;
(b) Methods of providing effective addiction services, mental health services, and recovery supports;
(c) Means of enhancing the mental health of and recovery from addiction of all residents of this state.
(7) Foster the establishment and availability of vocational rehabilitation services and the creation of employment opportunities for individuals with addiction and mental health needs, including members of racial and ethnic minorities;
(8) Establish a program to protect and promote the rights of persons receiving addiction services, mental health services, and recovery supports, including the issuance of guidelines on informed consent and other rights;
(9) Promote the involvement of persons who are receiving or have received addiction services, mental health services, and recovery supports including families and other persons having a close relationship to a person receiving those services and supports, in the planning, evaluation, delivery, and operation of addiction services, mental health services, and recovery supports;
(10) Notify and consult with the relevant constituencies that may be affected by rules, standards, and guidelines issued by the department of mental health and addiction services. These constituencies shall include consumers of addiction services, mental health services, and recovery supports and the families of such consumers. These constituencies may include public and private providers, employee organizations, and others when appropriate. Whenever the department proposes the adoption, amendment, or rescission of rules under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code, the notification and consultation required by this division shall occur prior to the commencement of proceedings under Chapter 119. The department shall adopt rules under Chapter 119. of the Revised Code that establish procedures for the notification and consultation required by this division.
(11) Provide consultation to the department of rehabilitation and correction concerning the delivery of addiction services and mental health services in state correctional institutions;
(12) Promote and coordinate efforts in the provision of addiction services by other state agencies, as defined in section 1.60 of the Revised Code; courts; hospitals; clinics; physicians in private practice; public health authorities; boards of alcohol, drug addiction, and mental health services; community addiction services providers; law enforcement agencies; and related groups;
(13) Provide to each court of record, and biennially update, a list of the treatment and education programs within that court's jurisdiction that the court may require an offender, sentenced pursuant to section 4511.19 of the Revised Code, to attend;
(15) Provide a program of gambling addiction services on behalf of the state lottery commission, pursuant to an agreement entered into with the director of the commission under division (K) of section 3770.02 of the Revised Code, and provide a program of gambling addiction services on behalf of the Ohio casino control commission, under an agreement entered into with the executive director of the commission under section 3772.062 of the Revised Code. Under Section 6(C)(3) of Article XV, Ohio Constitution, the department may enter into agreements with boards of alcohol, drug addiction, and mental health services, including boards with districts in which a casino facility is not located, and nonprofit organizations to provide addiction services, and with state institutions of higher education or private nonprofit institutions that possess a certificate of authorization issued under Chapter 1713. of the Revised Code to perform related research.
(B) The department may accept and administer grants from public or private sources for carrying out any of the duties enumerated in this section.
(C) The department may adopt rules in accordance with Chapter 119. of the Revised Code as necessary to implement the requirements of this chapter.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59, 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64, 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- July 1, 2017 – Amended by Senate Bill 319, 131st General Assembly [ View July 1, 2017 Version ]
- June 29, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 111, 132nd General Assembly [ View June 29, 2019 Version ]
- March 9, 2021 – House Bill 64, 131st General Assembly [ View March 9, 2021 Version ]