Section 9.821 | Office of risk management.
(A) The department of administrative services shall direct and manage for state agencies all risk management and insurance programs authorized under section 9.822 of the Revised Code.
(B) The office of risk management is hereby established within the department of administrative services. The director of administrative services, or a deputy director appointed by the director, shall control and supervise the office.
(C) The office may take any of the following actions that it determines to be in the best interests of the state:
(1) Provide all insurance coverages for the state, including, but not limited to, vehicle liability, casualty, property, public liability, and fidelity bonding. The cost of insurance coverage shall be paid from appropriations made to the state agencies that the office has designated to receive the coverage.
(2) Provide coverage of legal expenses that are necessary and related to the legal defense of claims against the state;
(4) Consolidate and combine state insurance coverages;
(5) Provide technical services in risk management and insurance to state agencies;
(6) Adopt and publish, in accordance with section 111.15 of the Revised Code, necessary rules and procedures governing the administration of the state's insurance and risk management activities.
(D) No state agency, except a state agency exempted under section 125.02 or 125.04 of the Revised Code from the department's purchasing authority, shall purchase any insurance described in this section except as authorized by the department, when the office of risk management determines that the purchase is in the best interest of the state pursuant to division (C)(1) of this section, and in accordance with terms, conditions, and procurement methods established by the department.
(E) With respect to any civil action, demand, or claim against the state that could be filed in the court of claims, nothing in sections 9.82 to 9.823 of the Revised Code shall be interpreted to permit the settlement or compromise of those civil actions, demands, or claims, except in the manner provided in Chapter 2743. of the Revised Code.
(F) The department of administrative services and the office of risk management, while acting pursuant to the responsibilities prescribed in sections 9.82 to 9.83 of the Revised Code, are performing a public duty, as defined in section 2743.01 of the Revised Code.
Last updated July 29, 2021 at 3:18 PM