Section 3705.30 | Statewide birth defects information system.
(A) As used in this section:
(1) "Freestanding birthing center" has the same meaning as in section 3701.503 of the Revised Code.
(2) "Hospital" has the same meaning as in section 3722.01 of the Revised Code.
(3) "Physician" means an individual authorized under Chapter 4731. of the Revised Code to practice medicine and surgery or osteopathic medicine and surgery.
(B) The director of health shall establish and, if funds for this purpose are available, implement a statewide birth defects information system for the collection of information concerning congenital anomalies, stillbirths, and abnormal conditions of newborns.
(C) If the system is implemented under division (B) of this section, all of the following apply:
(1) The director may require each physician, hospital, and freestanding birthing center to report to the system information concerning all patients under five years of age with a primary diagnosis of a congenital anomaly or abnormal condition. The director shall not require a hospital, freestanding birthing center, or physician to report to the system any information that is reported to the director or department of health under another provision of the Revised Code or Administrative Code.
(2) On request, each physician, hospital, and freestanding birthing center shall give the director or authorized employees of the department of health access to the medical records of any patient described in division (C)(1) of this section. The department shall pay the costs of copying any medical records pursuant to this division.
(3) The director may review vital statistics records and shall consider expanding the list of congenital anomalies and abnormal conditions of newborns reported on birth certificates pursuant to section 3705.08 of the Revised Code.
(D) A physician, hospital, or freestanding birthing center that provides information to the system under division (C) of this section shall not be subject to criminal or civil liability for providing the information.
Last updated August 18, 2021 at 1:52 PM