Section 4506.07 | Form and contents of application for license or permit - registration as elector.
(A) An applicant for a commercial driver's license, restricted commercial driver's license, or a commercial driver's license temporary instruction permit, or a duplicate of such a license or permit, shall submit an application upon a form approved and furnished by the registrar of motor vehicles. Except as provided in section 4506.24 of the Revised Code in regard to a restricted commercial driver's license, the applicant shall sign the application which shall contain the following information:
(1) The applicant's name, date of birth, social security account number, sex, general description including height, weight, and color of hair and eyes, current residence, duration of residence in this state, state of domicile, country of citizenship, and occupation;
(2) Whether the applicant previously has been licensed to operate a commercial motor vehicle or any other type of motor vehicle in another state or a foreign jurisdiction and, if so, when, by what state, and whether the license or driving privileges currently are suspended or revoked in any jurisdiction, or the applicant otherwise has been disqualified from operating a commercial motor vehicle, or is subject to an out-of-service order issued under this chapter or any similar law of another state or a foreign jurisdiction and, if so, the date of, locations involved, and reason for the suspension, revocation, disqualification, or out-of-service order;
(3) Whether the applicant has any physical or mental disability or disease that prevents the applicant from exercising reasonable and ordinary control over a motor vehicle while operating it upon a highway or is or has been subject to any condition resulting in episodic impairment of consciousness or loss of muscular control and, if so, the nature and extent of the disability, disease, or condition, and the names and addresses of the physicians attending the applicant;
(4) Whether the applicant has obtained a medical examiner's certificate as required by this chapter and, beginning January 30, 2012, the applicant, prior to or at the time of applying, has self-certified to the registrar the applicable status of the applicant under division (A)(1) of section 4506.10 of the Revised Code;
(5) Whether the applicant has pending a citation for violation of any motor vehicle law or ordinance except a parking violation and, if so, a description of the citation, the court having jurisdiction of the offense, and the date when the offense occurred;
(6) If an applicant has not certified the applicant's willingness to make an anatomical gift under section 2108.05 of the Revised Code, whether the applicant wishes to certify willingness to make such an anatomical gift, which shall be given no consideration in the issuance of a license;
(7) Whether the applicant has executed a valid durable power of attorney for health care pursuant to sections 1337.11 to 1337.17 of the Revised Code or has executed a declaration governing the use or continuation, or the withholding or withdrawal, of life-sustaining treatment pursuant to sections 2133.01 to 2133.15 of the Revised Code and, if the applicant has executed either type of instrument, whether the applicant wishes the license issued to indicate that the applicant has executed the instrument;
(8) Whether the applicant is a veteran, active duty, or reservist of the armed forces of the United States and, if the applicant is such, whether the applicant wishes the license issued to indicate that the applicant is a veteran, active duty, or reservist of the armed forces of the United States by a military designation on the license.
(B) Every applicant shall certify, on a form approved and furnished by the registrar, all of the following:
(1) That the motor vehicle in which the applicant intends to take the driving skills test is representative of the type of motor vehicle that the applicant expects to operate as a driver;
(2) That the applicant is not subject to any disqualification or out-of-service order, or license suspension, revocation, or cancellation, under the laws of this state, of another state, or of a foreign jurisdiction and does not have more than one driver's license issued by this or another state or a foreign jurisdiction;
(3) Any additional information, certification, or evidence that the registrar requires by rule in order to ensure that the issuance of a commercial driver's license or commercial driver's license temporary instruction permit to the applicant is in compliance with the law of this state and with federal law.
(C) Every applicant shall execute a form, approved and furnished by the registrar, under which the applicant consents to the release by the registrar of information from the applicant's driving record.
(D) The registrar or a deputy registrar, in accordance with section 3503.11 of the Revised Code, shall register as an elector any applicant for a commercial driver's license or for a renewal or duplicate of such a license under this chapter, if the applicant is eligible and wishes to be registered as an elector. The decision of an applicant whether to register as an elector shall be given no consideration in the decision of whether to issue the applicant a license or a renewal or duplicate.
(E) The registrar or a deputy registrar, in accordance with section 3503.11 of the Revised Code, shall offer the opportunity of completing a notice of change of residence or change of name to any applicant for a commercial driver's license or for a renewal or duplicate of such a license who is a resident of this state, if the applicant is a registered elector who has changed the applicant's residence or name and has not filed such a notice.
(F) In considering any application submitted pursuant to this section, the bureau of motor vehicles may conduct any inquiries necessary to ensure that issuance or renewal of a commercial driver's license would not violate any provision of the Revised Code or federal law.
(G) In addition to any other information it contains, the form approved and furnished by the registrar of motor vehicles for an application for a commercial driver's license, restricted commercial driver's license, or a commercial driver's license temporary instruction permit or an application for a duplicate of such a license or permit shall inform applicants that the applicant must present a copy of the applicant's DD-214 or an equivalent document in order to qualify to have the license, or permit, or duplicate indicate that the applicant is a veteran, active duty, or reservist of the armed forces of the United States based on a request made pursuant to division (A)(8) of this section.
Last updated March 10, 2023 at 12:34 PM