Section 4517.18 | Auction of large construction or transportation equipment; prohibited acts.
(A) A construction equipment auction licensee may sell at auction large construction or transportation equipment and shall do all of the following:
(1) Have title present for all vehicles to be sold by auction;
(2) Except as provided in division (B) of this section, sell, at auction, only vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating of more than ten thousand pounds;
(3) File with the bureau of motor vehicles on an annual basis a certification stating the gross proceeds generated from auctions held at the auction site during the prior calendar year and the gross proceeds generated from the sale of motor vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less during such year.
(B) A construction equipment auctioneer may sell, at auction, motor vehicles having a gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less, only if the construction equipment auctioneer complies with all applicable provisions of Chapter 4505. of the Revised Code concerning the titling of such vehicles, Chapter 5739. of the Revised Code concerning the withholding and payment of sales taxes in connection with the sale of such motor vehicles, and Chapter 5751. of the Revised Code concerning the payment of commercial activity taxes on the sale of such motor vehicles in the same manner as a motor vehicle dealer, including transferring title to such vehicles to the licensee's name prior to the auction.
(C) No construction equipment auction licensee shall do any of the following:
(1) Sell vehicles with a manufacturer's statement of origin;
(2) Hold any motor vehicle dealer licenses issued by this state at the same time as holding a construction equipment auction license, and the construction equipment auction license shall be separate and distinct from any other license issued under this chapter;
(3) Sell at auction a motor vehicle having a gross vehicle weight rating of ten thousand pounds or less unless the owner of such motor vehicle also sells large construction or transportation equipment through the construction equipment auction licensee.
(D) Whoever violates this section is guilty of a minor misdemeanor on a first offense and a misdemeanor of the fourth degree on subsequent offenses. In addition, the court shall impose on the offender a fine of up to ten thousand dollars.
Available Versions of this Section
- June 29, 2011 – House Bill 114, 129th General Assembly [ View June 29, 2011 Version ]