Section 4731.222 | Determining applicant's fitness to resume practice.
(A) This section applies to both of the following:
(1) An applicant seeking restoration of a certificate issued under this chapter that has been in a suspended or inactive state for any cause for more than two years;
(2) An applicant seeking issuance of a certificate pursuant to section 4731.29, 4731.295, 4731.57, or 4731.571 of the Revised Code who for more than two years has not been engaged in the practice of medicine and surgery, osteopathic medicine and surgery, podiatric medicine and surgery, or a limited branch of medicine as any of the following:
(a) An active practitioner;
(b) A participant in a program of graduate medical education, as defined in section 4731.091 of the Revised Code;
(c) A student in a college of podiatry determined by the state medical board to be in good standing;
(d) A student in a school, college, or institution giving instruction in a limited branch of medicine determined by the board to be in good standing under section 4731.16 of the Revised Code.
(B) Before restoring a certificate to good standing for or issuing a certificate to an applicant subject to this section, the state medical board may impose terms and conditions including the following:
(1) Requiring the applicant to pass an oral or written examination, or both, to determine the applicant's present fitness to resume practice;
(2) Requiring the applicant to obtain additional training and to pass an examination upon completion of such training;
(3) Restricting or limiting the extent, scope, or type of practice of the applicant.
The board shall consider the moral background and the activities of the applicant during the period of suspension or inactivity, in accordance with section 4731.08 of the Revised Code. The board shall not restore a certificate under this section unless the applicant complies with sections 4776.01 to 4776.04 of the Revised Code.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 6, 2012 – House Bill 292, 129th General Assembly [ View September 6, 2012 Version ]
- September 29, 2015 – House Bill 64, 131st General Assembly [ View September 29, 2015 Version ]
- September 29, 2017 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 29, 2017 Version ]
- September 28, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 111, 132nd General Assembly [ View September 28, 2018 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]