Section 4776.01 | Criminal records checks definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(A) "License" means an authorization evidenced by a license, certificate, registration, permit, card, or other authority that is issued or conferred by a licensing agency to a licensee or to an applicant for an initial license by which the licensee or initial license applicant has or claims the privilege to engage in a profession, occupation, or occupational activity, or, except in the case of the state dental board, to have control of and operate certain specific equipment, machinery, or premises, over which the licensing agency has jurisdiction.
(B) Except as provided in section 4776.20 of the Revised Code, "licensee" means the person to whom the license is issued by a licensing agency. "Licensee" includes a person who, for purposes of section 3796.13 of the Revised Code, has complied with sections 4776.01 to 4776.04 of the Revised Code and has been determined by the department of commerce or state board of pharmacy, as the applicable licensing agency, to meet the requirements for employment.
(C) Except as provided in section 4776.20 of the Revised Code, "licensing agency" means any of the following:
(1) The board authorized by Chapters 4701., 4717., 4725., 4729., 4730., 4731., 4732., 4734., 4740., 4741., 4747., 4751., 4753., 4755., 4757., 4759., 4760., 4761., 4762., 4774., 4778., 4779., and 4783. of the Revised Code to issue a license to engage in a specific profession, occupation, or occupational activity, or to have charge of and operate certain specific equipment, machinery, or premises.
(3) The department of commerce or state board of pharmacy, relative to its authority under Chapter 3796. of the Revised Code and any rules adopted under that chapter with respect to a person who is subject to section 3796.13 of the Revised Code;
(4) The director of agriculture, relative to the director's authority to issue licenses under Chapter 928. of the Revised Code.
(D) "Applicant for an initial license" includes persons seeking a license for the first time and persons seeking a license by reciprocity, endorsement, or similar manner of a license issued in another state. "Applicant for an initial license" also includes a person who, for purposes of section 3796.13 of the Revised Code, is required to comply with sections 4776.01 to 4776.04 of the Revised Code.
(E) "Applicant for a restored license" includes persons seeking restoration of a license under section 4730.14, 4730.28, 4731.222, 4731.281, 4759.062, 4759.063, 4760.06, 4760.061, 4761.06, 4761.061, 4762.06, 4762.061, 4774.06, 4774.061, 4778.07, or 4778.071 of the Revised Code. "Applicant for a restored license" does not include a person seeking restoration of a license under section 4751.33 of the Revised Code.
(F) "Criminal records check" has the same meaning as in section 109.572 of the Revised Code.
The Legislative Service Commission presents the text of this section as a composite of the section as amended by multiple acts of the General Assembly. This presentation recognizes the principle stated in R.C. 1.52(B) that amendments are to be harmonized if reasonably capable of simultaneous operation.
Available Versions of this Section
- September 29, 2013 – House Bill 59, 130th General Assembly [ View September 29, 2013 Version ]
- January 21, 2018 – Amended by House Bill 49, 132nd General Assembly [ View January 21, 2018 Version ]
- October 17, 2019 – Amended by House Bill 166, Senate Bill 57, 133rd General Assembly [ View October 17, 2019 Version ]